Hacks! Output

By jeff, 19 June, 2012

I have the speaker output wired to a jack, which I use to experiment with plugging into various size/shape cabinets. (Cardboard boxes!) If I use the Hacks! output to plug into some other amp, and leave the Stella's speaker jack unplugged, am I going to do any damage to anything on the Stella?

I remember trying to, quite naively, make a similar modification to an old Acoustic bass amp years ago - using it's line out with no speaker connected to the amp worked great for about 5 minutes, then a big resistor on the circuit board caught on fire. Needless to say, don't want to repeat the same failed experiment on my beautiful new Stella!

Thanks!
jeff

Member for

12 years 6 months

John

11 years 6 months ago

You have the 10k ohm resistor soldered in, right? If you do, there is no way you can damage the Stella Amp by plugging anything in to the hacks output, whether the speaker is connected or not.

Of course, now that I said that, SOMEONE is going to figure out a way to do it. :)

Oh, you know what? If you applied a high enough reverse voltage, maybe... No, seriously, you're just plugging this into an amp, right? Unless there is some gross wiring problem with your Stella amp, you should be fine.

Member for

11 years 6 months

jeff

11 years 6 months ago

And yeah, I just plan on plugging the Stella straight into an amp. The Stella sounds great, by the way - I used it for a busking event yesterday, and it worked perfectly for my acoustic bass. Just enough volume to accompany my dad, who plays the recorder.

Thanks for the reassurance!
jeff

Member for

12 years 6 months

John

11 years 6 months ago

You know, I bet it would perfectly with an acoustic bass as a little sound reinforcement. It's a little to quiet for my tastes to be the only amp for an electric bass.

And thanks, I'm glad you like the Stella!